2 September 2021 - 3:30 pm
2 December 2021 - 6:00 pm
14 Week Complex Facilitation Intensive
Viv Read is the author of the chapter on complex facilitation entitled ‘Facilitation Can Be Complex (and It Certainly Should Be)’ in the 2020 CYNEFIN® weaving sense-making into the fabric of our world publication by Dave Snowden & Friends. Viv Read and Julie Cunningham are authorised Cognitive Edge Facilitators.
Please note, participants numbers on this program are deliberately limited to enable maximum engagement and a customised experience.
Complex facilitation processes and methods are disruptive. Expectations and experiences are challenging for facilitators and participants.
Can you spot the difference…a situation where facilitators shift from being an expert in the process and driving to outcomes to one where the faciliator designs and uses methods and processes that enables meaning to emerge from participants. Complex facilitation mirrors the principles of complexity and therefore facilitation principles include:
- Light footprint faciliation versus controlling direction and problem solving
- Operating at the whole of system level versus individual participant level
- Information is shared and socialised versus report-backs
- Enough agreement to take action versus consensus.
Explore the practical application of complex facilitation methodologies and the implications for clients, facilitators and participants.
Using the Cynefin® complexity framework as the foundation, the program is designed to explore the theory as the basis for practice in participant’s own contexts. You will develop an understanding of the characteristics of different facilitation approaches, and specifically related to complex facilitation:
- How and where you start matters (bounded applicability)
- Role and mandate of the facilitator and the impact on participants
- Practice the design and application of core complex facilitation methods
- How to design an end-to-end process that encompasses discovering, sensemaking/meaning making and insights to action.
Participants will be expected to
- Attend a 2.5-hour session every two weeks, for seven weeks, which will be a mixture of theory and practice
- This program uses a combination of Zoom (for breakout rooms) and Conceptboard (for content capture and monitoring) If you are unsure that your current devices or software will be able to engage using this combination, our technical support consultant is available to have a conversation with you once you have registered.
- Work together with 2 other (minimum) participants in between to undertake practical applications
- Meet with one of the Complexability facilitators for an hour with their team for peer coaching
- Assist their team member to ‘catch up’ if there is an unavoidable absence.
Participants will receive:
- 7 sessions of 2.5 hours of theory and practice
- 6 hours of team coaching during the program related to course activities
- 2 hours of mentoring for individual activities
- Resource material.
Starting September 2 2021, 3.30 pm – 6.00 pm Australian Eastern Standard Time.
Completion December 2, 2021, 3.30 pm – 6.00 pm Australian Eastern Standard Time.
$AUD 1800 plus GST $180 Total Program $A 1980 per person
Discounts: 10% appy for 3 or more participants from the same organisation (or practitioner with clients)
Some scholarships may be available. Please apply directly here
This course is available for in-house delivery.
Please contact….The Complexability Team: Viv Read, Julie Cunningham, Scott Arbuthnot, Laurel Sutton, Malcolm Knight (technical support)